3. Powdered Graphite Skill Builder - Draw An Egg
To get even more control over this technique, draw an egg. (See finished drawing below.)
I used smooth paper, a small brush, a medium brush, a stump, a kneaded eraser and a chamois cloth, but any combination of similar tools will work.
To get the most from this exercise, follow these steps:
1. Choose your egg and make some powdered graphite.
2. Place the egg on a white surface (a sheet of drawing paper works well) and arrange the light so there's a dark shadow on the egg and a clearly defined shadow cast on the paper.
3. Lightly sketch the egg and its shadow with a medium hard pencil.
~~~ Now put the pencil away. ~~~
4. Use only brushes, stumps, a chamois cloth, tissues, erasers, and etc. to apply and adjust the graphite.
A chamois cloth lightens powdered graphite if you "dab and lift" carefully. I use the thick corner of a folded cloth to do this.