- Thumb and pencil measure height and width.
- Eye on subject and side of pencil on paper.
- Quick, fast, let your pencil find the form.
- Feel your way around the shape.
- No one else knows what this looks like, so let yourself off the hook and draw!
- Squint eyes to see shadows, darkest, lightest, and in-between.
- Sharp edges and soft edges, find the shadows where they play.
- Be messy!
- See local color but don't let it fool you.
- Don't worry about highlights yet.
- Now refine!
- Pencil tip to the paper and don't be afraid of black! (There's always more paper and another day.)
- Kneaded eraser is your friend.
- Stroke, poke, swipe, and tap.
- Don't forget the cast shadow, something to sit on.
- A quick clean-up and you're done.
- (Not too much. It's ok to leave maker's marks today.)