Some textures can be absolutely horrifying to even contemplate drawing! Honestly, a field of weeds can send an artist into shock if they’re not prepared.
The secret to drawing complicated textures sanely is to break them down into steps. Here’s how.
- Start in one small area and lay down a mid tone.
- Lay in the large shadow areas.
- Erase the large highlight areas.
- Add the smaller shadow areas.
- And erase the smaller highlight areas.
Sneak up on those textures one step at a time! Don’t let ‘em scare you. I even write down which pencil or eraser I use for each step. That makes the whole process a little easier to tackle on the next go ‘round.